Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 08:13:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian S. Dean" <bsd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   cvs commit: src/etc rc.diskless1 rc.diskless2

bsd         2001/05/09 08:13:51 PDT

  Modified files:
    etc                  rc.diskless1 rc.diskless2
  Log:
    * Simplify the population of the /etc memory filesystem.  To avoid
      the null mount, we currently create a temporary mfs on /tmp, copy
      /etc to /tmp, then mount /etc as mfs and copy everything back from
      /tmp, then delete the /tmp mfs.

      The patch eliminates the temporary /tmp mfs and the subsequent
      copying and simply populates the /etc mfs by copying from
      /conf/default/etc.  This requires that /conf/default/etc contain a
      complete copy of all the /etc stuff instead of just overrides.  I
      don't think that is too much of an extra step in setting up a
      diskless environment.

    * Provide the ability to make /tmp a memory filesystem independent
      of /var.  This removes the requirement that /tmp be a symlink to
      /var/tmp and this makes the diskless code work with the default
      filesystem layout.  If a seperate /tmp memory filesystem is
      created, the 'tmpsize' environment variable is used to determine
      its size (default to 10 Meg).

    * Reduce diffs between the -current and -stable versions of these
      files to a bare minimum.  Only the definition of the shell
      function 'mount_md' is different.

  Not Objected to by: -arch@, -small@

  MFC after: 2 days

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.10      +5 -15     src/etc/rc.diskless1
  1.11      +19 -9     src/etc/rc.diskless2