Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 01:26:38 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Promiscuous mode?

Hello,

I'm trying to graph the usage of a DSL line which is connected to a hub,
to which several computers are connected to.  However, since the traffic
is not going through my computer, I need to figure out a way to have it
watch all the traffic on the hub, and from what I understand, I need to
put the NIC in promiscuous mode.  So the first question would be: how do
I put it in promiscuous mode 100% of the time, besides starting a
sniffer like tcpdump et al?  I couldn't find anything in ifconfig(8) to
do that.

Then the second question would be: would net-snmp (daemon) actually be
looking at all the traffic?  The reason I ask is because it appears that
traffic not destined for the NIC's MAC isn't shown to anyone but root.
Though I suppose that doesn't matter since the SNMP daemon is running as
root...

TIA,
--
wca