Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 11:55:27 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFilter not free software?

> The legal opinion that I got, when I asked our intellectual property
> counsel, was that in the phrase "advertising materials mentioning features
> or use of this software", the word "this" refers to the original software.
> The networking features they were trumpeting were networking features of
> Windows.

Hm.  Was that UCB's intention, or is it a legal loophole?

What I mean is, the features they were trumpeting were features of the
BSD software which had been included in Windows.  They were not
features which existed in Windows independently of the original code.
So what you're saying seems to be that I can take the code and use it,
and advertise its features as features of "my" software without
acknowledging the source.

In any case, it seems quite incompatible with Terry's argument that
this is a "credit claim" clause.  Few people in the real world know
at all that Windows uses code from BSD.

- R