Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:29:57 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steveo@eircom.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD - Linux curiosity

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 09:17:12PM +0200, Hartmann, O. wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>
>> Try using the FreeBSD (or DOS) fdisk utility (or /stand/sysinstall)
>> to remove all the FreeBSD partitions (with fdisk you can wipe
>> everything down to 0).
>
> Hihi.
>
> Sorry about laughin. But I did this. Linux seems to WANT see
> BSD partitions after doing so.

Well, if you erased all the partitions from the disk using FreeBSD's
fdisk, you can bet that the disk has no partitions.  Now, if Linux
fdisk continues to believe for some obscure reason that the disk
*does* have partitions, your problems are somewhere else.

I would tend to suspect that the support for HighPoint controllers is
that is buggy, since SuSE seems to have stated this already.

> Maybe we should stay with the better OS ... :-))

Yes, please do!  If Linux cannot support HighPoint controllers yet,
and you know that FreeBSD does, it would seem like the most reasonable
thing to do.

-giorgos