Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 01:04:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Apple]RE: Mundie, Perens, GPL, BSD etc again

--- Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be> wrote:
> 	The majority turned their back on beige because, for the first
> time in many, many years, Apple was getting a serious percentage of
> first-time computer users to buy their machines, instead of selling
> upgrades into the same mass of people that had bought previously
> bought their shlock.
>
> 	Moreover, they were also getting much higher levels of converts
> from the PC side, which at that time was still offering only the
> beige and black garbage.  Which is what made them panic and jump on
> the translucent bandwagon.

Any numbers to illustrate this? How about installed base growth?

Bottom line: ...it's the bottom line... since 1996 a company can donate
a computer to a school district in USA and write the whole price off
within the first 2 years. That's when the Apple started to agonise -
schools are lost. Where I am at it's HP flooding local schools and
libraries with computers, not Apple.
I still like the Mac OS Classic as it's called now the most and Mac OS
X is the most beautiful Unix in history with a potential to make Unix a
consumers' OS. But this potential will be annihilated by the 'wisdom'
of Stevie and his sucker-uppers. Besides, Mac OS X is far from being as
functionally transparent as Classic. Pity for all bright engineers at
Apple: Stevie conceived it and he will bury it.
Only a small percentage of consumers aimes for the best, most take the
best price, just go to Costco. You can tell them all you want about
advantages in the long run - TCO, no need for tech support and stupid
VB programmers, much higher productivity, longer use cycle, etc.

Apple Computers has the same place in the history of marketing as the
SU in the social history: the best example of how things should not be
done even if you have the best brainpower and ideas.

just my 2 farthings ;)