Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:51:09 +0200
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/765: umount -f can`t umount a NFS filesystem in use

-On [20010620 15:31], Ian Dowse (iedowse@maths.tcd.ie) wrote:
>In message <200106201315.f5KDFZB73481@freefall.freebsd.org>, asmodai@FreeBSD.or
>g writes:
>>Synopsis: umount -f can`t umount a NFS filesystem in use
>>
>>Responsible-Changed-From-To: asmodai->freebsd-bugs
>
>This has been fixed in -current (revision 1.312 of vfs_subr.c and
>associated changes), but is still a problem in -stable. A direct
>MFC would require the recompilation of all filesystem modules, and
>minor source changes to any filesystems maintained outside the
>tree.
>
>Is this likely to cause problems? If so, an alternative would be
>a workaround that would just fix the NFS case. I'd prefer to reduce
>rather than increase the differences between the branches if possible
>though.

I'd prefer to have this fixed as well, rather than documented as a
caveat.

Since it seems to counterproductive to not being able to use umount -f
on NFS mounts.  I know I have had to use this in the past due to
networks bouncing up and down.

And a recompile is worth it in my opinion.

I am interested in good arguments _NOT_ to fix this.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven/Asmodai asmodai@[wxs.nl|freebsd.org|xmach.org]
Documentation nutter/C-rated Coder, finger asmodai@ninth-circle.dnsalias.net