Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 21:07:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ian P. Thomas" <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
To:        wmoran@iowna.com (Bill Moran)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cable connection problems

--%--multipart-mixed-boundary-1.1461.993431273--%

	Here is a copy of the rc.conf file sent as an attachment.  I think
you're right about the DHCP.  When I release and renew using winipcfg,
every once and awhile I get a DHCP error renewing IP.

Ian

In the last episode, Bill Moran stated...

> "Ian P. Thomas" wrote:
> >
> >         I was unable to see any messages on boot regarding DHCP.  Here is what
> > dmesg says about the NIC.
>
> I'm guessing your /etc/rc.conf is set up improperly. Could you send the
> list a copy?
>
> > fxp0: <Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B Ethernet> rev 0x0c int a irq 17 on
> > pci0.1 3.0
> > fxp0: Ethernet address 00:02:b3:1a:b2:81
>
> These cards work fine - as long as it's not integrated into the mobo. Is
> the network card a seperate card?
>
> >         I do get this at the end though.  Is this the DHCP info you were
> > looking for?
>
> No, these are ethernet messages. DHCP messages will almost always have
> "dhcp" in them somewhere.
>
> > IP Address      Obtain automatically
>
> This is Microsoft's way of saying "DHCP is on"
>
> >         I don't think I am using DHCP in Windows.
>
> Yes you are.
>
> > Is there a way I can enter a
> > gateway, subnet mask, and IP address manually for my NIC?
>
> Yes, but it's unlikely to work properly if your ISP expects you to use
> DHCP.
>
> -Bill
>
> --
> If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
> then what can I get for two hands in the bush?

--%--multipart-mixed-boundary-1.1461.993431273--%

# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
# please make all changes to this file.
hostname="scraemondaemon.my.domain"

firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"
ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"

portmap_enable="NO"

network_interfaces="lo0 tun0 fxp0"

sendmail_enable="YES"
sendmail_flags="-bd"

savecore_enable="YES"

update_motd="YES"
clear_tmp_enable="YES"
apm_enable="YES"
moused_port="/dev/psm0"
moused_enable="YES"

font8x16="YES"
font8x14="YES"
font8x8="YES"
allscreens_flags="-m on 80x30"
saver="blank"
blanktime="300"

--%--multipart-mixed-boundary-1.1461.993431273--%--