Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:40:10 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: State of the Handbook

--==_Exmh_1054791284P

If memory serves me right, Dima Dorfman wrote:

> >   8.  Removing some content to other documents.

[snip]

> >       PC Hardware Compatability               -> Book in its own right (?)
>
> This should probably be in the relnotes.

Just to echo this.  There is a "Hardware Compatability" list (both PC
and Alpha) in the release documentation.  It is *much* more up to date
and detailed than what's in the Handbook; more importantly, it's tied
pretty closely to the release notes.  A pointer to the release
documentation (from the handbook), with maybe some generic statements
about what types of hardware are supported, should suffice IMHO.  The
list itself is a bit long to go in the Handbook.

This brings up another point...that there's considerable overlap between
some sections of the handbook and some files in the release
documentation.  In particular, see the "Installing FreeBSD" section of
the Handbook and INSTALL.TXT or its RELNOTESng equivalent.  It looks to
me like these two sections had a common ancestor, but diverged
considerably.  I've wanted to audit these for consistency, but I'm not
sure when I'll get time to do this.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1054791284P

--==_Exmh_1054791284P--