Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 23:03:29 -0500
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@sneakerz.org>
To:        "Robert E. Lee" <rel@gulbransen.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, js43064n@pace.edu, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panic

* Robert E. Lee <rel@gulbransen.com> [010710 22:54] wrote:
> On 24 Jun 2001, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com> writes:
> > A disk error would not crash the system.  Please stop spouting
> > unfounded (though highly imaginative) bullshit.
>
> Not to get into a pissing contest, but I have had disk errors in the past
> that made my system crash.
>
> On the original thread, when you have a local account on a box, you can
> usually use this script as an effective DoS:
>
> $ more foo.sh
> #!/bin/sh
>
> while [ 1 -eq 1 ]; do
>   find / -name foo &
> done
>
> The default settings for most Unix OS's allow that type of script to
> consume enough resources to make the system unusable.

It'd be almost trivial to limit the amount of outstanding IO on a
per uid basis.  Have time for a patch? :)

Hint:
store the amount of IO in the uidinfo struct, if you go out of
bounds, sleep on the outstanding buf counter address for a short
time (*), if the user completes IO, then issue a wakeup.

(*) the reason you can not sleep inifinitely is because you may cause
a deadlock situation against yourself when writing out dirty buffers,
or maybe not.. ?

Anyhow, that should allow for throttling.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Ok, who wrote this damn function called '??'?