Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 13:31:03 -0400
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IMAP servers

Last week I switched from postfix/procmail delivering to Maildirs
for virtual domains to postfix/procmail/cyrus.  Virtual domains
are easy to implement with postfix and cyrus.

I let postfix map user@domain.com to imap+user_domain_com with a
mysql table and virtual_maps=mysql:/blahblahblah.  Procmail is the
mailbox_command delivery agent.  I created a fallback_transport to
procmail via the pipe driver:

    procmail  unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
		flags=R user=cyrus argv=/usr/local/bin/procmail USER=${user} EXTENSION=${extension}

Users in /etc/passwd have their mail delivered by the mailbox_command,
in my case procmail, and everything goes to procmail/cyrus via the
fallback_transport.

I use procmail because it was the easy to implement junkmail
filtering and attachment filename munging to disable the sircam
worm and friends.  The fallback_transport could be directly to
cyrus or to cyrus via some other filter.  The mailbox_command could
be something other than procmail.

A minimal ~cyrus/.procmailrc:

	DELIVERMAIL="/usr/local/cyrus/bin/deliver"

	:0
	| $DELIVERMAIL $EXTENSION

I modified lib/auth_unix.c to map '@', '%', and '.' in usernames
to '_' since '.' is the mailbox seperator in cyrus.  This lets me
assign unique usernames/mailboxes like joe@domain.com, joe@otherdomain.com,
joe@yadomain.com, and so on.

Netscape POP does not permit user@domain.com style usernames.
Netscape turns user@domain.com to user@domain.com@popserver.com so
I tell Netscape POP users to use user%domain.com instead.
user@domain.com does work for Netscape IMAP and Outlook POP.

Bottom line is if you let postfix do the virtual domain to mailbox
name mapping, and you don't need user@domain.com style usernames,
cyrus works out of the box.

John Capo
IRBS Engineering, Inc.