Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:56:55 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dual-head (and other) support for Matrox G450

My organization is planning on buying several G450 cards for our new
FreeBSD desktop systems. While I have confirmed that the cards do work
with XFree86 4.1, I am uncertain of the additional capability support
available.

Does anyone have a "cookbook" or other information on making this
work?

I've scanned through the archives and found some stuff on earlier
versions of XFree86, but nothing for the current release. I've also
scanned the Matrox and XFree86 Xperts list, but found nothing that
clarifies things (although there is a fair amount of conflicting
information).

I have downloaded the beta driver code from Matrox and tried building
it, but the module io.c calls some functions with which I am
unfamiliar. iopl, inl and outl are unfamiliar to me, so I'm unsure
what to do to get this code to compile. (Most other stuff seems to be
pretty straight-forward stuff.)

Has anyone gotten this to work?

Also, I see many references to the mga.ko kernel module. Is that now
obsolete? I don't have it in my /modules.

In short, HELP!

Thanks in advance,

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)