Date:      Wed, 01 Aug 2001 23:02:59 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Marc Fonvieille <fonvi@easynet.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Better patches [long]

In message <20010801231444.A26603@gothic.blackend.org>, Marc Fonvieille writes:

>here's the dmesg with an old kernel and use of fa_select:

Here is a summary of the significant dmesg changes:

--- old (working)
+++ new (non-working)
- pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x8086, dev=0x7196) at 0.2 irq 11
- pcic0: <VLSI 82C146> at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000 irq 10 on isa0
+ pcic0: <Intel i82365SL-DF> at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000 irq 10 on isa0
- pccard0: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
- pccard1: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
+ pccard0: <PC Card bus (classic)> on pcic0
+ pccard1: <PC Card bus (classic)> on pcic0
- ed0 at port 0x300-0x31f irq 3 slot 0 on pccard0
- ed0: address 00:e0:98:7a:f5:61, type Linksys (16 bit)
+ ed1 at port 0x300-0x31f irq 3 slot 0 on pccard0
+ ed1: address 00:e0:98:7a:f5:61, type Linksys (16 bit)
+ ed1: device timeout

The detected pcic0 chipset seems to have changed; I don't know if
this is a problem, or just a cosmetic printf change.

The change from 'ed0' to 'ed1' is simply because you have a line
in your kernel config saying "device ed0 at isa?" which is reserving
ed0 for an ISA card that doesn't exist. Change that to "device ed"
and it will revert to ed0. That isn't likely to be a problem.

Could you post the output of "pccardc dumpcis" when the FA410 is
inserted while running the new kernel? I have a feeling I remember
seeing some cards that specify the wrong iosize in the CIS, but I
could be completely mistaken (if the "block length" lines don't say
0x20, try adding an "iosize 0x20" line to the pccard.conf entry).

>This card stop working with source from before miibus was added to ed
>driver, and i think it's source from around 8th July.

It would be very useful if you chould track down which commit caused
the card to break, though that might be quite a bit of work.

>Have you any feedback from people using that card with recent stable
>tree?

I use a FA410TX with -stable every day in my laptop, which over
the last few weeks has been updated every few days. With a 10baseT
network, I have to run

	ifconfig ed0 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex

but it works without help on a 100baseTX link. Does anyone else
reading this list have positive or negative experiences with this
card since the miibus support was added?

Ian