Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:22:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ed Alley <alley1@llnl.gov>
To:        bts@babbleon.org, jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Will Lilo run under FreeBSD with Linux emulation?

> On Wednesday 22 August 2001 17:09, Jonathan Chen wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 12:00:35PM -0700, Ed Alley wrote:
>>
>>> I am running FBSD4.x on various machines. Can I run
>>> Lilo (the Linux loader) under FreeBSD using
>>> Linux emulation?
>>
>> No. Lilo runs before Linux starts up, and so is not a candidate for
>> emulation.

> No, he means the lilo program that installs the boot loader.
> The could conceivably work, but I'd be loath to try it.

Thanks for the clarification; I was in the middle of drafting my
own when Brian's e-mail arrived. :-)

> Actually, I like the FreeBSD loader much better myself; I actually ran Linux
> with the FreeBSD boot loader for a while before switching entirely back to
> FreeBSD.

Yes the FreeBSD loader works fine: it gives you a menu and etc. And I have
used both the default FreeBSD loader and/or Lilo in the case of multiple
OSs with Linux installed. What I want to do is get rid of Linux altogether.

However, I like the configuration file approach of Lilo. It gives me the
feeling (probably misplaced) that I am in control. (:->)

At any rate, thanks for the comments. I think that I'll just trash
the Linux OSs and live without Lilo; its a small price to pay
for the added disk space and simplicity of operation.