Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 05:31:47 -0400
From:      Isaac Mushinsky <itz@mushinsky.net>
To:        Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Printing cyrillic chars

You need to substitute the postscript fonts with the Russian ones. Downlo=
ad=20
the fonts using russian/koi8r-ps in ports if you don't have them yet.

In order to make the printer always print using these fonts, you may want=
 to=20
delete the old fonts and edit the aliases file to alias Times->TimesNRCyr=
MT,=20
etc.

However, this is not nice; if you only need to print Russian occasionally=
,=20
run your document through a sed script like this:

#!/bin/sh
 sed "s/Times-Roman/TimesNRCyrMT/g; \
s/Times-Bold/TimesNRCyrMT-Bold/g;\
s/Times-Italic/TimesNRCyrMT-Italic/g; \
s/Courier/CourierCyrPS/g;\
s/Helvetica/ArialCyrMT/g;"=20
=2E..

use=20

cat yourfile.ps | the_script | lpr

If you often print russian, you can make a print filter apply the script=20
before sending the file to print.=20

Good luck.