Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:23:56 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
To:        mwm@mired.org
Cc:        ume@mahoroba.org
Subject:   Re: Freezes in 4.4RC on SMP Kernel and gkrellm

>>>>> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 23:57:06 -0500
>>>>> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> said:

mwm> Turns out that gkrellm can be *very* hazardous to your system. I've
mwm> got a situation where the system panics every time I start gkrellm. I
mwm> believe this is a bug in gkrellm, not in the system.

I didn't thought this thread lead to GKrellM problem. X-(

mwm> From looking over gkrellm's code, it assumes that any smb device it
mwm> finds is the one it knows about - and proceeds to try and extract data
mwm> from it. This seems like a bad idea - at least in this case.

Yes, it is dirty.  However, I have no idea to distinguish if smb is
mapped to initpm.  I wish to fix it.  Is there any way to do it?

mwm> gkrellm also has the problem that it initializes every monitor it
mwm> knows about, even if that one isn't being displayed. Without the smb
mwm> devices, it uses /dev/io, and that's left open so that gkrellm can
mwm> lower it's privileges after opening the file. This means bugs in other
mwm> modules could stroke /dev/io in some strange way - and I believe
mwm> that's the root cause of the freezes I'm seeing.

I wish to have a generic method to obtain temperature, fan speed and
voltage without any extra privilege.

mwm> I've installed gkrellm WITHOUT_SENSOR=yes - which sgid instead of suid
mwm> - and enabled all the things that I had on when the system was
mwm> freezing before, except the sensors.

I'll turn sensor support off by default for workaround.

Sincerely,

ume@mahoroba.org  ume@bisd.hitachi.co.jp  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/