Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 02:38:20 -0700
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org, glewis@eyesbeyond.com, Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: jdk1.3.1 socket problem

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 11:29:16AM -0400, Mikhail Kruk wrote:
> OK, my first bug report sucked, it wasn't really jdk's problem and
> workaround is trivial.
> But I'll try again. Please let me know if it is not yet time for bug
> reports and I'll shut up :)
>
> When I try to run the following code sample I get:
> java.net.SocketException: errno: 56, error: Socket is already connected
> for fd: 4
>
> import java.net.*;
>
> public class test
> {
>     public static void main(String[] args)
>     {
>         try
>             {
>                 Socket socket = new Socket( "www.cs.brandeis.edu", 80);
>                 socket.close();
>             }
>         catch(Exception e)
>             {
>                 System.err.println(e);
>             }
>     }
> }

Check this out:

	[billh@finfin]$ ../../../bin/appletviewer example1.html
	_X11TransOpenCOTSClient(tcp/gnuppy:0)
	_X11TransOpen(1,tcp/gnuppy:0)
	_X11TransParseAddress(tcp/gnuppy:0)
	_X11TransSelectTransport(tcp)
	_X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient(tcp,gnuppy,0)
	_X11TransSocketSelectFamily(tcp)
	_X11TransSocketOpen(1,1)
	_X11TransConnect(5,tcp/gnuppy:0)
	_X11TransParseAddress(tcp/gnuppy:0)
	_X11TransSocketINETConnect(5,gnuppy,0)
	_X11TransSocketINETConnect: inet_addr(gnuppy) = ffffffff
	_X11TransSocketINETConnect: sockname.sin_port = 6000
	_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 56
	_X11TransClose(5)
	_X11TransSocketINETClose(81ad580,5)

It's the debug log from XOpenDisplay and it's attempt at doing a connect().

	/usr/include/sys/errno.h:#define        EISCONN         56              /* Socket is already connected */

The problem with X remote display and connect() in that example are definitely related.

IP address value of 0xffffffff ? what hell ?

What do you think Greg ?

This could be a race of some sort. More investigation needed. ;-)

bill