Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2001 21:21:08 -0700
From:      Jason C Roberts <dirtycatfish@juno.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   compiling ports

Here's the output of 'uname -a': 'FreeBSD 4.3-Release FreeBSD 4.3-Release
#0: Sat Apr 21 10:54:49 GMT 2001.'

My question is:  is there anything I need to do besides installing the
ports collection and typing "make build" in the given directory to
compile the given port?  After reading the handbook that's all it appears
I need to do; however I get this error messege, for example, after typing
"make build":

'>>greed-3.3.tar.gz doesnt seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.'

After looking in /usr/ports/distfiles/ on my own, I found this statement
is true.  In addition to the above messege I also recieve this one 5 or 6
times:

'Stop in /usr/ports/games/greed
*** Error code 1'

This is only an example, the results are the same with each port.

Thanks for your time,
Daryl Jackman