Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:23:40 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Stephen Hurd <deuce@lordlegacy.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 04:34:14AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

[snip]

> > What's even harder to swallow (and quite humbling) is the sense that
> > many younger Germans (most I've had a chance to talk to, in fact)
> > still harbor deep feelings of guilt about World War II.  Americans,
> > however, don't seem to think much of Hiroshima, Nagasaki, or the
> > carpet bombings; history is obviously written by the winners.
>
> This is aggregiously incorrect.
>
> The U.S. is so guilt-ridden over the use of atomic weapons in
> Japan that it eschews nuclear power with a fear verging on a
> true phobia.  In order of percentage of power generated via
> nuclear energy, the U.S. ranks 10th.  In order of most to least
> (Source: "Energy Studies Yearbook, United Nations, 1995"), the
> top 10 are: France, Belgium, Sweden, Spain, South Korea, Ukraine,
> Germany, Japan, United Kingdom, United States.

I loathe to join the thread, but this is so-o way off base.

> Note Germany (29% nuclear powered) and Japan (28%) are much
> higher up the list than the U.S. (19%).
>
> California PG&E customers pay a fee on their bill each month to
> support the decommissioning of existing nuclear plants -- and
> this decommissioning is occurring _despite_ a large enough power
> crisis that rolling blackouts were occurring alost daily for
> months on end: we were so afraid of nuclear power, we were getting
> rid of the reactors, despite having to cut power to homes, schools,
> businesses, and, in some instances, vital services on which peoples
> lives may depend.

Nuclear powerplants from the 50's and 60's are being decomissioned
because most are operating near or well past their design
lifetimes. These plants _need_ to be decommissioned. The engineers who
built and run them will tell you this needs to be done.

Now, as to why no new nuclear plants have been built in the past few
decades is a whole separate issue. Economics, regulation, and public
fear of accidents have prevented this. However, the idea that the US
public feels guilty about using fission weapons against Japan is
completely unfounded.

> We do this _despite_ the fact that nuclear waste can be held
> safely until it is itself safe, while the chemical waste from
> coal-fired plants _does not break down_ -- it is dangerous
> _forever_.

I am wondering what type of hazardous chemical wastes from coal
cumbustion you are speaking of.

> So you are an idiot if you don't think that America does not
> suffer _profound_ guilt over the use of nuclear weapons in the
> Japan conflict; it does -- to the point of abandoning money,
> working lights and heat, efficiency, and rabid environmentalism...
> all to assuage that guilt.

Wow. Americans are scared of nuclear powerplants because they are
scared of "toxic chemicals" to the point of hysteria (Three Mile
Island, Love Canal, Brookhaven, the asbestos insanity, saccharine
listed as a carcinogen, etc. to name a few). But Americans by and
large are and have always been comfortable having a mindbogglingly
large stockpile of nuclear weapons. Actually, we've mostly worried
about not having enough (Kennedy's "Missile Gap," the Reagan
years).

You mentioned Brookhaven later in this thread. When I used to live in
the East, only that fringe of professional protesters gave a whit
about Brookhaven until a report came out about the contamination in
the nearby soil and groundwater. Then _and only then_ did the local
media and public really care about Brookhaven. It's not some imagined
guilt about using nuclear weapons on Japanese driving protests at
Brookhaven, it's fear of our pal Blinky of Simpsons fame.

As a chemical engineer, I could delve into how grossly
disproportionate the fears of these things are as opposed to the real
risks (the common irrational fears of crime and terrorism got nothing
on these), but I'll spare you all.