Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 20:51:28 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Peter Lockhart <peter@key.co.za>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

Terry Lambert said on Sep 25, 2001 at 11:18:10:
> Peter Lockhart wrote:
> > A poll on that bastion of unbiased news reporting otherwise known as CNN,
> > reported about 87% of Americans polled supporting whatever action Bush
> > proposed. The vast majority of American citizens I'm sure, almost oblivious
> > of the fact that Bin Laden was on their payroll only a few years earlier.
>
> If my former employee shoots my neighbor, I'm not going to care
> whether he was my former employee or not.

You're missing the point so totally I think it's deliberate.

You don't care.  The rest of the world does care.

The rest of the world cares because America's "solution" to the
problem will, likely as not, be to arm some other armed group against
the Taliban (the northern alliance being the most likely candidate),
flood the place with more sophisticated arms and ammunition, and
eventually aim to install some puppet regime there.  The catch being
that a puppet regime will last only so long, and meanwhile a
disenchanted population will be growing, another Bin Laden among them,
the difference being that this one is much better armed.  Or -- the US
will simply kill so many civilians and trample over so many Islamic
feelings that bin Ladens will arise spontaneously from all over.

That's the reason for raising the issue of bin Laden being trained by
the CIA (he's not an isolated example at all, only the most
notorious).  Already the US is showering its largesse on a military
dictator in Pakistan, to add to such other eminently democratic
clients in the region as the Saudi royal family.  People are worried
that it will happen again and it will be worse next time.  Don't be
surprised if there's trouble with Pakistan in the not-too-distant
future: the military there is seriously disenchanted with the US, and
have plenty of leftover US arms apart from the ones they've got from
China and the ones the US may be giving them now.

It's not like your former employee shooting your neighbour: it's like
you arming your employee to shoot a neighbour, he turning around and
shooting your son, then you training another employee to shoot the
first employee, and so on ad nauseam.