Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 12:40:42 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror
References:  <NFBBJPHLGLNJEEECOCHAGEDNCEAA.deuce@lordlegacy.org> <3BAC3644.1CB0C626@mindspring.com> <xzp66abb7pz.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no> <3BAD1FAE.2F3D40F5@mindspring.com> <20010923011557.B60374@jake.akitanet.co.uk> <015e01c143c8$c93505a0$89941bd8@speakeasy.net> <015d01c14519$80553010$3309f540@bigsky> <3BB0CA62.B1F189A9@mindspring.com> <20010925205128.A70023@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20010926023654.022caaa8@threespace.com>

Technical Information said on Sep 26, 2001 at 02:42:44:
> At 02:51 PM 9/25/2001, you wrote:
> >The rest of the world cares because America's "solution" to the
> >problem will, likely as not, be to arm some other armed group against
> >the Taliban (the northern alliance being the most likely candidate),
> >flood the place with more sophisticated arms and ammunition, and
> >eventually aim to install some puppet regime there.  The catch being
> >that a puppet regime will last only so long, and meanwhile a
> >disenchanted population will be growing, another Bin Laden among them,
> >the difference being that this one is much better armed.  Or -- the US
> >will simply kill so many civilians and trample over so many Islamic
> >feelings that bin Ladens will arise spontaneously from all over.
>
> Even if such a dilemma does exist, I don't see that taking *no* action is
> an option.  If destroying two of the most prominent facilities in America
> and staggering the global economy into recession wasn't a big enough rush
> for the surviving conspirators, I can't imagine the rush they'd get if
> there was no repercussion for it.

OK, so you can't imagine any other form of action than what I described.
Hopefully the people making the war plans have better imaginations.

How about this (it probably won't please everyone still, but it will
make a big difference from past history and won't offend too many
people either).

1.  Publish the proof you (the US) claim to have, against Bin
    Laden/Taleban, as justification for an attack.  Don't just keep saying
    "We know he's guilty but we're not going to tell you why."

2.  Attack with your own troops.  Don't use and arm local gunmen and
    militia.  Don't take part in civil wars.  Just do what you want to do,
    no more.

3.  After it is all done and you have got bin Laden and his
    associates, *withdraw*.  Don't hang around where you aren't wanted.
    Don't try and support some unpopular puppet regime thinking it is in
    your own interests.  It's not.  And while you're about it, withdraw
    from all the other military installations in the middle east and
    around the world, too.  Do that right now, it will be viewed very
    positively and bin Laden's major grudge against the US will be gone.

Yes, this will be a long process.  Anything will be a long process,
except carpet bombing and flattening the whole country.  (I hope
that's not what you want.)  Yes, it will mean lives of American
soldiers.  Well, I happen to think the lives of a few hundred American
soldiers aren't more valuable than the lives of a few hundred thousand
Afghan civilians.  Besides, the soldiers chose that life; the
civilians didn't.

- R