Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:25:16 -0700
From:      David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        <paul@freebsd-services.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: helping victims of terror

>My point is, it's meaningless to say "communism says this".  You=
 could say
>"some communists say this", or "this book by a communist leader=
 says this",
>but there is no Bible for communism -- unless it's the Communist=
 Manifesto,
>as I said.

=09I'm not sure how you think that conflicts with anything I said.=
 In any
event, I don't agree with it. I think it's pretty clear what=
 someone means
when they say "communism says this". They mean that whatever they=
 referred to
as "this" is either explicitly part of communist ideology,=
 implied by it, or
believed by most people they classify as communist. Obviously,=
 the criteria
for what constitutes communist ideology may differ between=
 people.

=09But what I'm sensing from your other replies is that you hold=
 the view that
no ideology can be judged because in order to do so, you must=
 hold some
standard and obviously any ideology will pass its own standard=
 and it's not
fair to judge one ideology by the standards of another. If you=
 hold this
view, you've fallen for the argument that all beliefs are=
 deserving of equal
credit simply because someone holds them. Half the time, this=
 leads to
rejecting rational arguments with the equivalent of "that's what=
 you think"
and the other half the time, it leads to rendering things beyond=
 question
simply because that's what someone thinks.

=09DS