Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:33:12 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        paul@freebsd-services.com, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: helping victims of terror

David Schwartz said on Sep 27, 2001 at 12:25:16:

> But what I'm sensing from your other replies is that you hold the view that
> no ideology can be judged because in order to do so, you must hold some
> standard and obviously any ideology will pass its own standard and it's not
> fair to judge one ideology by the standards of another.

No I never said that and I don't think I implied that.

If you want to know what I think of ideologies, I think they're Bad
Things.  There is no such thing as a good ideology.  A thinking person
must always question, and accept certain aspects of any ideology which
appeals, but be willing to reject other aspects of the same ideology
(in particular religion, but also communism and capitalism).
Everyone must have a personal philosophy, subject to change, and not
dictated by external authorities who can't be questioned.

Someone once remarked that communism is a religion, because no
communist is willing to name a mistake or failing of its founders
(Marx, Lenin, etc); only gods don't make mistakes.  True enough.
Capitalism is also a religion to many people in the US, because they
aren't willing to admit that there may be deficiencies in the
capitalist world view, that free markets don't cure all ills.  It is
correct, everything else is wrong, infidel, dangerous.  In the 1950s
many of America's best and brightest people were persecuted by this
capitalist (anti-communist) dogma.