Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 13:52:26 +0100
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: code density vs readability

On Oct  2, j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> wrote:

> I just came to a new conclusion.  I think code formatting and personal
> style might be directly related to the editor preferred.  This

<snip>

In that case, I must be a freak. I do about 90% of my code editing in vi and
ed, with mail editing (like now) in pico (backed onto mutt). I have to say,
it takes hard work, but the nature of my job means I end up doing a hell of
a lot of code editing on live, remote servers. Don't ask. Needless to say,
when you have minicom up, and you're dialled into a BSD box 300 miles away
and you need to change that line *there* and the term settings aren't right,
you end up quickly re-learning ed. Very quickly. And yes, we can talk about
rolling out code releases etc. but customer confidentiality stops me from
telling you quite what it is we do, and why I need to mod code already
released. :-)

Anyway, I really used to get on with nedit but the PHP support was
non-existant and a lot of my bigger projects get done in that rather cute
language. I don't know why I stopped using nedit, I just did. Found myself
back in the world of <ESC>:wq! all of a sudden. I once tried learning emacs
but didn't get on with it. Maybe one day.

--
PR