Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:05:24 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IPFW or IPFILTER?

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Hartmann, O. wrote:

> Hello.
>
> FreeBSD uses two filtering systems, ipfw and ipfilter and each of these
> both systems has its own adavantages and disadvantages. ipfilter seems to
> be more sophisticated in how to write rules.
> At the moment, we use ipfw around here due to the easy rule syntax. But
> that is not that what should be the main argument. I want to ask for the
> performance, mean the throughput/bandwith. Does anyone know something
> about the bandwith of both filters? What are the pro and contras?

This is not a scientific test, but two reasons why I think ipf may be
faster are:

1) NAT is done inside the kernel (no need to copy the packet to userland and
   back)
2) rule groups: if your rule set is large, you can make it tree shaped
   instead of a linear list, so the search time for a rule is lower.

Depending on your rule set and load they may or may not have a performance
impact.

					Fer