Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:47:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        roberto@freebsd.org
Cc:        bde@freebsd.org, <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   newfs fails to build small file systems.

Hi,

since version 1.41 of newfs.c newfs fails to build 2MByte md-based
file systems. We use these file systems in our diskless pc's.

Unfortunately the code in newfs.c and mkfs.c is too wired for me to
understand, but as a couple of printf's show, the code computes the
number of cylinders based on default values for the number of tracks (1)
and the number of sectors per track (4096). This gives a value of one
cylinder and mkfs later on complains about needing at least 2 cylinders
per cylinder group.

Strange enough newfs still handles 1.44MByte floppies.

Somewhat puzzled,
harti
--
harti brandt, http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private