Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 16:42:29 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Dale Chulhan <dchulhan@uwi.tt>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Future And Direction Of FreeBSD Project

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1

Dale Chulhan <dchulhan@uwi.tt> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> To my shock and horror, I read that FreeBSD is now without corporate
> sponsorship and that there are now plans by daemonNews to take over that
> role.

WindRiver is gone (or, at least, about to go).  DaemonNews is coming.
There are both bad and good news.  Don't over-estimate the importance
of bad news and, at the same time, under-estimate the optimism behind
good news.

> So I am here sitting wondering what's the real scoop with the project
> and can we say definitely that this project is independant of corporate
> sponsorship?
>
> What about the fired workers are they still willing to work for the
> project? And people like Jordan etc. are they still actively involved or
> is the project being gradually deserted?

Well, I'm most likely not the one to speak as if I represented the
FreeBSD developers at large, but free time and expertise that everyone
feels like contributing is certainly not going to go away because
WindRiver or some other company has decided not to support FreeBSD.

Of course, free time is something that might range from null, zip,
nada, to large amounts of everyone's daily life, so you are bound to
see changes over time to the amount of their daily time that people
are willing and able to spend working on FreeBSD.  But this has not
stopped people until now from developing for FreeBSD, and I certainly
can not see why it would stop them now, or in the future.

In a few words, be optimistic.  FreeBSD is here to stay :)

Thanks to all the wonderful people who have worked as a team to make
it what it is now, and to those that constantly keep adding their
time and efforts to make it better every day.

> What has Linux have that we don't?
>
> Hell, If I had even half the talent of some of you guys I'd be more than
> willing to give up my free time to this cause, but right now I don't
> feel that I have enough to contribute.

That's exactly the same thing that most people who work on FreeBSD
right now are doing.  They contribute their time and expertise, as
much as they can and in what areas each of them is knowledgeable.

I'm sure that you can help here and there too.  All contributions have
been respected and welcome by developers so far.  Writing code for
FreeBSD is important, no argument against that.  Writing documentation
is a valuable contribution too.  Even testing FreeBSD, and reporting
what problems one has stumbled upon, is something that the entire
FreeBSD community, both users and developers, is thankful for.

So, feel free to help in any way you want and/or believe that you can.
That's what so many people have been doing for such a long time, and
that is exactly what needs to be done if you are worried about the
future of FreeBSD.  The future is what you make it.

-giorgos

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1--