Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 23:02:39 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, <clarson@eldocomp.com>
Subject:   Re: pathname length over NFS

Chad R. Larson <chad@.eldocomp.com> wrote:
 > The system message for error number 71 is:
 >     Too many levels of remote in path
 >
 > install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444   libcom_err_p.a /usr/lib
 > *** Error code 71

The install tool doesn't use errno numbers for exit codes,
but it uses sysexit values.  See the sysexits(3) manpage:

   EX_OSERR (71)   An operating system error has been
                   detected.  This is intended to be used
                   for such things as ``cannot fork'',
                   ``cannot create pipe'', or the like.  It
                   includes things like getuid returning a
                   user that does not exist in the passwd
                   file.

Looking at the source code src/usr.bin/xinstall/xinstall.c,
it uses the EX_OSERR exit code in several places.  However,
in all of those cases, install should also print an error
message, mentioning the real error (i.e. the string which
corresponds to the errno value, which is probably _not_ 71
in this case).

 > So, how does one increase the depth allowed in a remote path?

The path depth is certainly not the problem.

According to the source, install _should_ really print a
more helpful error massage.  What exactly does it say when
you type the command manually?

If that doesn't help, I'd suggesst you run the install
command that fails under control of ktrace or truss, so you
see what exactly fails.

Regards
   Oliver