Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 04:57:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dylan Carlson <damage_z@yahoo.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, shanon loveridge <shanon_loveridge@yahoo.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Java on FreeBSD

Ted.

Could we not answer questions with more questions?  Not least of which, driving
users away from FreeBSD?

Here's the point.  Linux makes an excellent Java platform.  FreeBSD makes a
good Java platform.  There's room for improvement, but I'm currently running
roughly 28 servlets across 14 FreeBSD servers under JDK 1.3.1.  And an equal
number of standalone Java applications talking to each other over RMI... And it
works very well.   Some of these have been running consistently without error
for over 60 days at a time between VM revs.

But with your comments... that kind of attitude has kept Linux and FreeBSD from
being Tier 1 platforms for things such as ... oh, say... Oracle?

Support for the FreeBSD is driven by interest and effort, by the applications
people want to run on it.  Fact is, Java development is huge.   If FreeBSD is
not an active player in that space, it will make it difficult for it to succeed
in other areas.

Deflecting users to Solaris because, perhaps, YOU don't run Java apps or
servlets is short-sighted.  And frankly, for someone as active on this list as
you are, I would have hoped you could have proposed some solutions towards
informing and helping people deploy Java on FreeBSD than turning them away from
it.

Regards,