Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 23:16:05 +0000
From:      Mark Hill <slurpcandy@btinternet.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Restricting Xwindows

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 09:27:27AM +0100, Martin Zibert wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> First of all i'd like to say: sorry about my english.It's not very good.
> I have one problem.We have a cyber caffee in our town and all the
> computers run on Windows platform.Now, we want to make a change.We want
> to install FreeBSD, but there are some problems.
> We'd like to run Xwindows but very restricted kind of Xwindows.let me
> explain that: no KDE just default Xwindows, no menus.When user look at
> the screen he/she must only see Netscape and nothing else - no telnet or
> other services.We also want to acomplish that users cannot save any
> files or anything else.I know that can be acomplished with permissions
> or security level, but i don't know how to restrict Xwindows.
> Does anybody know how to make this thing work?
> Oh, and another thing.There are some parameters which shutdown Xwindows
> (ctrl+alt+backspace) - we want to change that to!
>
> Thank for all the help in advance.
>
> Martin

Hi,
I tried to keep out of this thread, because I only (roughly) know how to
do what you want on a linux box.

What's the FreeBSD equivalent of ~/.xinitrc? I think it's ~/xinit.rc

In your ~/.xinitrc equivalent, change the last line that says

exec (your window manger here)

exec netscape

when you run startx (or the FreeBSD equivalent - sorry!)

You will get a windowless netscape on your screen. I think you
can configure netscape to take up the whole of the screen.

Use a 'graphical login manager' for the ctrl+alt+backspace problem.
Examples of graphical login managers are xdm, gdm and kdm. (IIRC).
Using a graphical login manager will prevent user's accessing the
console.

For extra security, you can restrict the user's account with sudo (or
the FreeBSD equivalent - Sorry again!). That way, a console prompt will
fairly useless to them.

I hope the above isn't too Linux specific and that someone knows what
I'm talking about.

Hoping to help.
--
Mark Hill - http://www.fero.uklinux.net
Hoping not to fall in the 'it works like that in Linux' trap