Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 15:26:48 +1030
From:      Ian West <ian@niw.com.au>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: expiring cached routes on in_pcb entries.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 08:45:31PM -0600, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Ian West wrote:
>
> > Hi, I have been looking at the code in ip_ouput in relation to a problem
> > I have had with named using the wrong route for talking to forwarders
> > after route changes occur. There is a check for cached routes, and a
> > check for validity, but not as far as I can see a check for expiry.
>
> What revision of the code are you looking at?  Some related behavior was
> changed relatively recently.
>
> Mike "Silby" Silbersack

I have seen the problem occur on two different machines, one is running
code 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #0: Thu May 10 15:13:04 CST 2001
the other is 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #0: Mon May 28 16:10:27 CST
2001 Both machines showed named requests taking the wrong route. Both
recovered by restarting named.

The code I am actually looking at is the source on a 4.4 stable box. I
will see if I can duplicate the problem with 4.4 stable. Are the recent
changes a fix for this type of behaviour, or something that may have
introduced it ?