Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 03:26:22 +0100
From:      Tomas Svensson <tsn@gbdev.net>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SSH stalls (was: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?)

JK> Is this the same problem that I experience on ssh connections between
JK> my 5.0-current laptop and my releng_4 server?  When I run an 'ls'
JK> from the shell on large directories I get the response back block
JK> delay block delay block.  I assumed that it was a problem with
JK> -current.

I am quite sure that this is a problem introduced in OpenSSH v2.5 or
earlier. When I upgraded a FreeBSD 4.2 box from OpenSSH v2.2.0 to a
newer version (I don't remember exactly which one now) I noticed this
stalling which had never appeared before. If I used SSH Inc ssh-2.4
there was no stalling. It's not FreeBSD-specific either: I am
trying this now on a NetBSD 1.5.1 that has OpenSSH v2.5.2 and if I
do ten ls -l as fast as I can,  I get 14 retransmitted packets and
stalling. If I try the same with SSH Inc ssh-3.0.0 I get no
retransmitted packets. Strangely enough I get no stalling on either
sshd if I cat a 3 megabyte text...

-Tomas