Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 11:25:39 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IBM suing (was: RMS Suing was [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD)

On Friday, 14 December 2001 at 16:54:45 +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 1:35 AM -0800 on 2001/12/13, Hiten Pandya wrote:
>
>> It is better to port JFS then re-inventing the wheel,
>> and we will get a lot of help from outsiders.
>
> 	True, but we already know what IBM's answer will be to this
> question.

Do we?  Do we agree?  Then why the following sentence?

> Therefore, it makes little sense to waste our time asking it.

Sure, just use it.

> IMO, we'd be better off asking SGI (and their former employees)
> about XFS.  Or just come up with our own journaling filesystem that
> is totally independant of the IBM code (satisfies the same design
> goals at the highest level, but below that point shares no
> specifications or implementation details).

"Reinvent the wheel".

> 	Indeed, I think we could safely argue that softupdates is a
> long ways towards this goal as it is, and that in many ways it is
> superior.  Combine that with dirprefs and dirhash, and I see very
> little reason to want JFS.

Indeed.  One of the reasons I'd like to see a JFS port is to be able
to compare it with the current UFS.  I really wouldn't like to bet on
which one came out on top.  But so far, we only have theoretical
papers to base our opinions on.

Greg