Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:03:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Tim J. Robbins" <tim@robbins.dropbear.id.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: options TCP_DROP_SYNFIN

<<On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 18:54:56 +1100, "Tim J. Robbins" <tim@robbins.dropbear.id.au> said:

> T/TCP (RFC 1644) speeds up transactions by not using the standard three-
> way handshake. I gather that it's more efficient if you have lots of
> quick connects and disconnects as you do with HTTP when not using the
> keepalive features.

However, it's almost entirely irrelevant to this discussion, since the
only Web client which ever used T/TCP was FreeBSD 3.0's `fetch'
program.  Transaction TCP turned out to be a bad idea, for a few
fundamental reasons, but might make a comeback some day in a world
with stronger security for TCP connections (e.g., host identity
payload).  DES and I have discussed a more appropriate behavior for
this option which does not violate the TCP standard.

-GAWollman