Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:54:21 -0500
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swi_net

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 01:41:50PM -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > I'm planning on revising swi_net so that it is possible to run all
> > network processing under the device interrupt instead of deferring
> > things to a netisr().  This also has the advantage of eliminating all
>
> The thing is, some processing can be quite long (e.g. IPSec, very
> long ipfw rulesets, multicast when you have a large number of
> sockets trying to fetch the packet, etc.), so it is not 100%
> desirable having it run in interrupt context.

  I think it's good to have the possibility of processing in interrupt
context while, at the same time, being able to easily turn it off for
situations like the ones you bring up.
  While we're on the subject, running the stack in interrupt context
seems to be an attempt to, mainly, remedy the load problem where we have
a lot of interrupts and the soft int thread doesn't even get a chance to
run... so we have a sort of livelock situation. For the cases that you
describe, how effective do you think it would be to do as we presently
do and just schedule the soft net thread to run, return from the
interrupt but, when under load figure out a way to bump up the priority
of the softnetisr thread enough so that it does get a chance to run?