Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 16:31:31 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Lonnie Cumberland <lonnie@outstep.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and restricting users

In the last episode (Dec 19), Lonnie Cumberland said:
> The basic problem is this. It is very easy to keep a user from
> entering into a directory after they have logged in, but it is VERY
> hard to keep a user locked into their HOME directory.
>
> We have looked at chrooted solutions as well, but they fail when a
> user logs in through XDM and start up an application like Netscape or
> StarOffice. Once that happens, they are free to navigate throughout
> the system.
>
> Can FreeBSD solve the problem of preventing a user from leaving their
> HOME directory while still allowing them to run OpenOffice?

If you really truly don't want them seeing anything outside their
$HOME, chroot is your only choice.  Create a minimal /etc, /lib, /bin
etc in each homedir and you should be set.  Note you'll have to
replicate most of /usr/X11R6 for any X app to work.

What exactly are you trying to keep users from doing?  A standard
install should not expose any private info or leave directories
incorrectly writable.  Just because they can browse into /etc doesn't
mean they can do anything.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com