Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 19:36:18 +0100
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>, developers@FreeBSD.org, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/isa fd.c

As Bruce Evans wrote:

> > This is because _MACHINE_ARCH is a bogus define.
>
> True.  It doesn't seem to be used for anything except to break
> netgraph/ng_vjc.c in the same way as fd.c

> > Then, the #if _MACHINE_ARCH == i386 becomes #if 1 == 1.
>
> Actually, it becomes `#if 0 == 0' 8-8.

Then i vote to either drop the macros _MACHINE and _MACHINE_ARCH
completely from /sys/*/include/param.h, or to provide a set of unique
constants they will be defined to so they can actually be used in cpp
comparisions.

What does NetBSD do here?  It would surprise me if they didn't have a
method to distinguish between their various machines at the cpp level.