Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2001 15:20:07 +0100
From:      Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about files in /usr/lib

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 02:58:11PM +0100, Nils Holland wrote:
> Hi folks,
>=20
> So, the question: What is libc_p.a (and all the other September-dated _p.a
> files in /usr/lib) there for, why doesn't it get updated when doing "make
> world"? I guess there's a good reason for that - but since I don't even
> know why there is a libc_p.a file besides libc.a and libc.so.4, I don't
> know what this reason is.

These are profiled libraries. I never install them, and I don't want
them on my system, so I have NOPROFILE=3Dtrue in /etc/make.conf. You may
have ran make with an argument like that, as stated in the handbook.

This is useful because profiled libraries are hardly used and they take
a lot of time to build.

HTH

> Greetings
> Nils
>=20
> --=20
> Nils Holland
> Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
> http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org
>=20

--=20
La ignorancia es la felicidad.