Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 01:05:19 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Teaching parents UNIX

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 03:46:29PM -0500, Oliver, Michael W. wrote:
> I would suggest that Microsoft software is NOT responsible for the spread of
> virii.  What can software do by itself without the driving force of a human
> being?  I submit that ignorant/cheap/lazy/whatever users, coupled with kids
> (with too much time on their hands and parents who don't know or don't care)
> writing virii, are the cause of the vast majority of virus infections.

That does not mean we should accept the spread of them by carelessness.

> I do not want to get into any kind of pissing match with you Cliff, because
> your rabid distaste for MS products rivals any that I have seen, and I share
> that view to some extent.  I will let Anthony be the Microsoft advocate ;-)

I don't have a rabid distaste for Microsoft products.
I will even go as far as to say having recently had a look at
Windows XP it is a million percent improvement on 9X.

Anyway that is besides the point.
Viruses are spread because of careless software practises, ok by the
users of software, but also by the vendors of the software that
leave it wide open to such abuse.

( Anthony, well I never see his messages anymore, they get a Content
Reject message by my MTA. )

--
Regards
Cliff