Date:      Wed, 02 Jan 2002 19:48:02 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG

If memory serves me right, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 11:19:34AM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 10:09:26AM +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> > > Is there a reason to use <filename> instead of <port> when referring
> > > to a port?  If not, how about the attached patch?
> >
> > I'm still uneasy about <port>.  Apart from the ambiguous name:

> > the rest of the world prefers the 'package' nomenclature.
> >
> > I'd be more comfortable with a
> >
> >     <filename class="port">
> >
> > or
> >
> >     <filename class="package">
> >
> > mechanism.  Or perhaps
> >
> >     <package category="archivers">unzip</package>
> >
> > or even
> >
> >     <command package="archivers/unzip">unzip</package>
>
> 	I tend to agree. The later mechanisms both are not ambiguous
> and help in parsing.
> 	Now that we mention it. What about a <protocol></protocol>
> tag?
> 	Furthermore, shouldn't we use more <acronym></acronym>?
>
> 	TCP,IRC,FTP are all protocols and acronyms....

Waitasecond.  I'm a little leery of adding a lot of Yet Another Element
as a non-standard FreeBSD extension to the DocBook DTD.

I felt this way when someone introduced <port></port> but I didn't say
so at the time.  Maybe I should have...although it'd be easy to switch
to something like <filename class="package"></filename>.  Personally,
this is the solution I prefer.

We should take roam's patch, to get the remaining package names into
compliance with our current convention.  *Then* we should see about
getting rid of <port></port> and replacing it with <filename
class="package"> </filename> or some variant thereof.

Bruce.