Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 16:19:22 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        Blake Crosby <dev@samurai.com>
Cc:        isp-webhosting@isp-webhosting.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restricting Users Geographically

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 01:35:05PM -0500, Blake Crosby wrote:
> I currently run the (only) Canadian PostgreSQL www mirror. I am finding
> people who aren't in Canada using the mirror, and somewhat bothered by this
> fact.
>
> What I want to do is restrict users so that only Canadian visitors can
> access the website. This would be easy if everyone had a .ca ccTLD has their
> hostname - but that's not the case :/
>
> Is there any way I can restrict users based on geographic location? Either
> as an apache module, or some fancy way using IPFW?

Why do you want to do this?  The USA is pretty close to Canada
and we have fast links there too.  If you don't like it, try this
a multi-tier policy:

	1) give all known canadians, eg. *.ca, *.wave.home.com,
	   etc. full access to the server
	2) lock out people of other known non-canadian hosts.
	   e.g. *.my, 202.*, *.mx, *.fr, ...
	3) b/w limit everyone else.

--
wca