Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:22:17 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restricting Users Geographically

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 04:26:05PM -0500, Blake Crosby thus spoke:

> I have no gripe against any one country, there are plenty of
> mirrors for other countries (including 3 for the usa). I dont see
> why visitors don't use the mirror for their country, this way,
> they are forced to.

Well the 'country' we are all living in is commonly called planet
Earth.  I find that for many things I can get data from a European
site faster than a US site.  This is of course dependant upon the
local connections.  www.freebsd.org used to be the same as
www.cdrom.com on a T3 in California.  Now that freebsd.org is in
Denmark and on machines owned/operated by the Danish Telephone
company - I can get downloads faster from there than some other
sites.

I could get no more than 35KB/sec when it was in California but I
have seen DLS in excess of 175KB/sec coming across the Atlantic.
That's about 15% faster than a T1 and a bit slower than an E1.

Since you can't control connectivity and network backbone on the
way visitors transit to your site why deny them access.

Another example is places such as tucows.com.  They list states so
you are supposed to go to your state sites, but I find I get faster
access going to different states - solely because of the network I
am on.  Speed is what counts.  I can also get to some sites across
the US faster than sites locally.

When in doubt as to where I want to get data from I'll use
mtr [Matt's trace route] and I then use that to judge where I'll
get data.

Just my two cent worth.

Bill