Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2002 10:23:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Erik Rothwell <erothwell@callgtn.com>
To:        <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   XFree86 4.2.0 problems...

Hi folks,

I just cvsupped ports and built the new XFree86 4.2. I'm experiencing some
strange behaviour after the install, however. I can't find any reference
to anybody else having this problem, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

The new version of X starts up fine, it seems, but I get this incredibly
pronounced flickering. That is: the video image is there for a split
second, only to cut out completely a moment later.  The monitor makes that
familiar "click" sound as when it looses sync. The duration of the on/off
periods is small, but seemingly random.

I do not get the same sort of thing under XF86 4.1.0... nor from a vt...
nor when I connect the monitor to a BeOS box.

/var/log/XFree86.0.log shows nothing out of the ordinary. I have an ATI
AIW Pro (8MB) connected to this machine.

I'm not sure where to start looking for a solution, really. I removed
/usr/X11R6 completely, and re-installed X...  nothing nothing. I disabled
all extensions, all custom modelines, etc... no luck. I wiped out my
/etc/XF86Config... re-ran X -configure... nothing. I even grabbed a copy
of (today's) experimental ati.2 libs from GATOS, but, that had the same
issue.

I'm stumped.

Erik.

--