Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:43:11 -0500
From:      Tadayuki OKADA <tadayuki@mediaone.net>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        tadayuki.okada@windriver.com, will@csociety.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/gd Makefile pkg-comment

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:31:53 -0500 (EST)
Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com> wrote:

> On 23 Jan, Tadayuki OKADA wrote:
> > You can't assume people keep old  version as it was. portupgrade leave
> > old version of  shared libraries by default, but there  is a option to
> > remove them.
>
> Then things may break for them with the current scheme too... The change
> I'm advocating  affects only the building  of port A. If  the acceptable
> library of port B is present,  it will build.

Sorry, but you mistook what I said.
I said:
> I meant:
> If port A depends on port B's library.
> port B updated. Assume it breaks binary compatibility.
> port A build will not be broken, so forget PORTREVISION bump.
> People update port B, but not port A. so port A will stop working.

The situation is:
port A was built with previous version of port B.
Then port B is updated. pkg_version or portversion detect
new version of port B. So peolple update port B.
But port A will not be detected, because PORTREVISON is same.

> The  dependency tracking  is quite  broken anyway  already --  the newly
> built port A is registered as dependent  on the latest version of port B
> -- not  the actually  installed version  (which may  be outdated,  be of
> language specific flavor, or compiled with non-default options, etc.).
>
> > And think about  the situation: port B update  which includes critical
> > bug fixes. But port A is still using old version of library...
>
> Again... Sorry  for the evident  confusion. My proposal does  not modify
> the dependency  tracking (not  significantly, anyway).  When registering
> the  port A,  the latest  version  of port  B will  be recorded  (rather
> bogusly, see above) -- just as now. The idea seemply allows to relax the
> dependency requirements for those, who build the ports from source.
This doesn't solve the situation what I described.
PORTREVISION bump is needed.

Regards,
--
Tadayuki OKADA