Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:42:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>
Cc:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>, andrew.cowan@hsd.com.au, "Nate Williams" <nate@yogotech.com>, "Freebsd-Stable" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Proposed Solution To Recent "firewall_enable" Thread. [Please Read]

:It's possible that the nature of the rules precludes loading them via
:rc.conf's firewall_* variables - Warner, for example, has a real-life
:example of this in his network.

    ... In which case it is utterly trivial to configure rc.conf such
    that the ipfw rules aren't changed.  You don't have to make 'NO' do
    nothing in order to accomplish that.

    NO in this context is very clear:  I don't want firewall rules, not
    even the default deny.  It should put the computer into the same
    effective state no matter how the kernel is compiled.

    I find it quite unbelievable that people are even arguing over this.
    It's as though some people WANT to make rc.conf as obfuscated and
    confusing as possible.

						-Matt