Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 15:25:15 -0600
From:      Richard Wenninger <wenninger@cox-internet.com>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Breaking permissions on Windows 2000 (Server Edition)

> But you trust the authors of FreeBSD?

No, but I trust the source code.

> > Have you seen the source code for windows 2000?
>
> Yes.

Ah, now I understand.

> > Do you _know_ without a doubt the integrity of
> > the authors?
>
> I don't know the integrity of anyone without a doubt.  I don't even know
> who the authors of FreeBSD are, but that hardly leads me to mistrust it to
> the extent that you imply.

Trust, but verify.  Age old tactic.  Not possible with windows.

> > Maybe there's a network "easter egg" that's not
> > yet been disclosed.
>
> Maybe Microsoft is the master of a secret worldwide conspiracy of ETs and
> military officers seeking to take over the world.

And you consider MY post hyperbolic?

> > You can't be sure without seeing the code.
>
> Even when you see the code, you can't be sure.

You can IF you can code.  Since you have no idea of the level of MY coding
skills, I resent being told I can't, assuming I was given the code.

> > Therefore, Open Source, in my mind, will ALWAYS be
> > more secure, because you can verify.
>
> Okay.  The next time someone presents an open-source cryptosystem, verify
> that it is secure, and report back to us.

You paying?

> > I trust M$'s programmers as much as I
> > agree with their business tactics.  NOT!
>
> Both their programming and their business tactics are highly respectable,
> especially compared to many others in the same business.

Yeah right.
I'm in the same business.
I'm respected in this business.
I even support and code for Microsoft platforms.
I don't even require companies to use ONLY me, or purposely write code that
makes it harder for other programmers to work with.  What a guy.  ;-)

> > The do make an awesome gaming platform though...
> > they make toys.
>
> A lot of production systems are running with their "toy" software.

Buyer beware.