Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 13:50:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Hiten Pandya <hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: In-Kernel HTTP Server (name preference)

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Hiten Pandya wrote:

> hi all,
>
> As to conclude this thread (for me.), I have come to the decision of
> actually starting a project for making a BSD Licensed in-kernel HTTPd
> server.  The project will be on SourceForge.net.
>
> As you all know, that when starting a project, a name is needed for
> project; I completely out of ideas, and I have literally no creative
> skills. :)

If you want to be really useful, I have a better first step for you. :)

Common wisdom seems to be that Apache is slow, other httpds are faster,
custom ones are fastest.  However, I don't think I've actually seen any
comparisons since this one of thttpd vs others:

http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/benchmarks.html

Before starting work on a kernel httpd, you might wish to run similar
benchmarks (with perhaps only 5 different httpds) to see what the current
performance of FreeBSD is; it may turn out that some limitation in the TCP
stack is hit even by userland httpds, and your effort would be better
spent on fixing that first.

FWIW, I have no ideas for the name of the benchmarking project. :)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack