Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:01:26 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 65000+ accounts

In the last episode (Feb 20), Nick Rogness said:
> Will the ~65000 account maximum in the password file be increased for
> 5.0 when it comes out?  If so, is it already in -CURRENT?  If not,
> what are my other alternatives to using a standard password style
> file/db to break through this barrier...NIS maybe?

Where are you seeing this limit?  4.* has a max uid/gid limit of
4294967295.  It will warn you about uids greater than 65536, but you
can suppress it according to the manpage:

ENVIRONMENT
     If the PW_SCAN_BIG_IDS environment variable is set, pwd_mkdb will
     suppress the warning messages that are normally generated for
     large user and group IDs.  Such IDs can cause serious problems
     with software that makes assumptions about the values of IDs.

> On the same lines, will username length be increased from 16 ?

I'm not sure there's a pressing need to make it any longer than that.
Raising it makes the wtmp and accounting log files grow much faster,
and I would guess most systems don't have very many usernames over 8
chars, let alone nearing 16.

You can always adjust it yourself by editing /usr/include/utmp.h and
raising UT_NAMESIZE, then rebuilding world.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com