Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 19:17:36 +0100
From:      Florian Nigsch <flo@nigsch.com>
To:        Lane Holcombe <lane@joeandlane.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS? nat?

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 11:48:27AM -0600, Lane Holcombe wrote:
> I have successfully used nat to transfer incoming requests to the
> Windows box based upon port number, (e.g. www.mydomain.com:8080),
> but I can't seem to figure out how to do it based upon hostname (e.g.
> windows.mydomain.com).
---end quoted text---

I don't know if I am much of a help...

As far as I know you can only redirect adresses and ports with natd
based on the IP adress.  What I am trying to say is that natd will
not know for which hostname the packet is destined which it should
redirect.  It only knows of the IP number it runs on.  So if you
have multiple hostnames on the same IP I personally think it's not
possible with natd to do redirecting based on hostname.  Unlike
with apache where you can have multiple virtual hosts distinguished
by their URL.

Someone correct me if I am wrong...

flo

--