Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:46:41 +0000
From:      Hiten Pandya <hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>, Chris Mason <mason@suse.com>, Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU>, Parity Error <bootup@mail.ru>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, reiserfs-dev@namesys.com
Subject:   Re: [reiserfs-dev]i Re: metadata update durability ordering/soft updates

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

> Or you can port it and then use it on any OS you want, so long
> as you are an end user, and not a company who sells OSs, so
> long as you don't redistribute the result... the GPL doesn't
> kick in until you attempt to exercise distribution rights.
>=20
> You could also, for example, build a company that charged to
> store data on the GPL'ed ReiserFS, ported to some proprietary
> OS, and as long as you never sold your hosting platforms to
> anyone, there'd be no problem.  You could call your new company
> "Defeat-the-spirit-of-the-GPL Data Vaulting, Incorporated".

So from what you are saying, I can (if I wanted to 8-)) port ReiserFS
to FreeBSD, under the GPL License, but that would be of no point,
because it cannot be used as a boot FS unless a royalty was paid to
the Hans for the rights, right? :)

I don't understand one thing though, what are we doing in the case of
Ext2FS, which is supported in FreeBSD.  As far as I know, the Ext2FS
version of FreeBSD has also got some GPL'ed bits?  The Ext2FS is
supplied as a source filesystem on FreeBSD CD-ROMs and people are
allowed to sell them...

Wouldn't this be the same thing in the case of a GPL'ed ReiserFS,
XFS or any other GPL'ed filesystem or code?

Regards,

--=20
Hiten Pandya
http://jfs4bsd.sf.net - JFS for FreeBSD (JFS4BSD)