Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:42:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      Quincey Koziol <koziol@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem books?

> Quincey Koziol <koziol@ncsa.uiuc.edu> writes:
> > I'm working on a scientific file format (HDF5 -
> > http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu) which has a lot of similarities to a
> > filesystem.
>
> This basically looks like strongly typed filesystem - you could build
> this on top of any existing filesystem in FreeBSD using extended
> attributes and a userland library.  Storing it in a single XML file is
> IMHO a regression, especially from a performance standpoint.  Or did I
> miss some crucial point?
    Sorta, the crucial part of the HDF5 library and file format is that the
files and library are designed to be portable between many different types
of machines, so I can't really hard-wire it to FreeBSD (my development
platform of choice though... :-).
    What's the best book or other set of documentation describing the FFS
filesystem format?
    Are there any good books or other pieces of documentation about NTFS?
I'm also looking for documentation about how the XFS filesystem is layed out
on disk.

    Thanks,
        Quincey